[pct-l] Hiking Speed

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 12:51:47 CST 2007

"As I walk, As I walk, the universe walks with me".   --Navajo chant

Reinhold mentions how some people have  4 cyls, and others are 8 cyls.

But there is a middle ground. Some of us are more like sturdy 6 cyl jeeps that just go all day, then repeat. :-)

I *LOVE* walking all day. Getting up near dawn and walking to just about dusk. Experiencing the rhythms of the day from dusk to dawn.

I love feeling the wind pick in the desert as it gets near sunset.  Watching the ripples on the water as they become pink with the setting sun.
The smell of sage brush wafting through the air. The crisp feel of the air in the early morning hours.

I love to walk.

I've enjoyed getting into camp early at times. Get the campfire going, have some boxed wine, shoot the breeze with my friends.

On thru-hikes though? The simple act of walk all day bring me much joy.

I don't walk fast...I just walk consistently.  When you walk for 10+ hrs straight, it is easy to be a "fast hiker" and do 20,25 miles or more per day. But for me, it is just not about hiking fast it is just walk for the sheer joy of walking.

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com