[pct-l] Colorado "rescue insurance"

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 12:29:51 CST 2007

>>Colorado has a wonderful system that would be a great template for others to
>>adopt. You make a $2 contribution to the Search and Rescue (SAR) and that
>>buys you free insurance to cover any evacuation (including helicporter). It

One of the biggest myths about the CORSAR card is that it is rescue insurance. It is not.  It is essentially a charitable donation card to help
fund SAR, training and related services. Many of the counties that have the most SAR responsibilities tend to have the smallest tax base as well.

The CORSAR card helps defray the cost for these counties by putting the CORSAR funds into a general pool. If you get a hunting or fishing license, that is correct, you get a card Otherwise you pay for it via other places.

>From http://www.dola.state.co.us/dlg/fa/sar/sar_purchase.html

			***** The CORSAR Card Is Not Insurance *******

			The card is not insurance and does not reimburse individuals nor does it pay for medical transport.  Medical transport
			includes helicopter flights or ground ambulance.  If aircraft are used as a search vehicle, those costs are reimbursed
			by the fund.  If the aircraft becomes a medical transport due to a medical emergency, the medical portion of the
			transport is not covered.

So, if you get into an accident, card or no card you may have to pay for medical transport or injuries.

The injuries may or may not be covered by your insurance (many insurance companies have an "extreme sport" clause now!), and the transport may or may not be covered as well. A CORSAR card does not have anything to do with expenses.

A friend of mine had to be evaced by helicopter due to a out-of-the-blue case of altitude sickness. The local guard unit did the evac and DID not charge him. They needed to get XXXX amount of training hours in, so they allocated the SAR and training hours.

Other hikers (esp if through their negligence!) have not been so lucky.

Anyway, the CORSAR card is *NOT* insurance. :)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com