[pct-l] The latest info on URSACK

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Mon Dec 3 23:08:59 CST 2007

I would have to agree with you Sly on this point.  I can understand the argument that some folks use that the bear cannisters will not fit in their UL packs comfortably, but I strongly disagree on the argument of weight.  By the time you reach the canister required areas, most thru-hikers will have walked 700 miles and be in the best shape of their lives.  They will have one heck of time noticing the difference of 2.5 lbs.  I recall in 2006 leaving Kennedy Meadows with 12 days of food of which a large portion was packed tightly into my canister.  The extra 2.5 lbs of canister weight was lost in the first day or two through food consumption.

Come on folks, do the right thing and step up and carry the can!  You are walking 2650 miles for goodness sakes, a little extra weight really won't be the most difficult challenge you face along the way!

Elevator - PCT 2006

From: Slyatpct at aol.com

vaporjourney at gmail.com writes:
Thanks so much for the info on the approval of all Ursacks being revoked for the '08 season.  This is really bad news, and now I'm going to have to consider getting a BearVault instead of the S29.  Does anyone know of a bear canister that is lighter than the Bearvault that is approved?  Bad bad news.

Not to worry. If you think the extra couple punds is too much to carry you can always quit at Toulemne Meadows.

Sly