[pct-l] Night Hiking

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 3 09:14:28 CST 2007

>>(Night hiking, on the other hand, is a perversion of all that is good
>>and true.  This cannot be disputed.)

Hey..I know it was said in jest, but I love night hiking (and skiing).

A backcountry ski tour by the light of the full moon is easily one the best ways to experience winter.

Anyway, here is something I wrote about doing a 13er this past summer. It was done via a full moon:

	 July 30th -  Sounding my barbaric yawp...

      Over the years I have come to enjoy night hiking.

There is something magical about night hiking.

The sun sets, the mountains are lit with the last light of dusk.

Elk and deer are grazing.

The surrounding land has a stillness about it that you just don't get during the day.

Last night I did a full moon hike of Mt. Audubon.

This
non-technical 13er is very popular. And for good reason. Awesome views
of the Continental Divide and the ever present Longs Peak. Easy
approach and gradual trail for all but the last ~1/2 mile.

As such, it is almost always busy on a weekend.

At night? We had it to ourselves.

The
hike started at dusk and we popped out at treeline shortly before the
moon rose above the clouds. Once the moon rose above the clouds the
terrain was simply awesome. The silver light splashed over the rocks
and tundra. Deep shadows were formed by the mountains surrounding us.
The stars were above. A headlamp was not needed at all.

We made
it to the summit, enjoyed the fine views and could not believe our good
fortune in terms of the weather. Not too cold, not windy at all, the
moon was not obscured by clouds.

After enjoying the summit, we
made it back down the trail and and into the woods. Picas went EEEP as
we headed down. Made it back to the car and drove back to Boulder and
into the early morning hours.

Last night was easily one my most memorable nights of hiking.

If
you have never walked by the light of the full moon, you really should.
It is unique, powerful and memorable way to spend time in the outdoors.

The moon should still be bright tonight...what are you waiting for?

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com