[pct-l] speed hiking, zero days and crawling along slowly

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 17:55:04 CST 2007

Yes and no.............

I don't know anything about running and only a little about hiking, but I know a fair amount about the human body.  I'll take your word for what you've observed with how runners progress thru their training.

My point is this:  If a cyclist rides with a #20 pack on, for say, 3 months along side a guy who does the same ride for 3 months, and then the guy with the pack takes it off, he'll likely ride faster and farther than the other guy.  His muscles, cardio, etc will be up for the challenge because his system has adjusted to that load.  If fact, I believe if one wants to get really fast, they should train while wearing some kind of load, and then remove it shortly before the real race.  I believe it would give an advantage.

And of course, Greg is right.  While, training, hiking, etc.  muscle mass (including heart) is being torn down.  The building up comes during the rest phase, which is why zeros, esp. in the beginning of a hike, are so important.

And the end of my story only supports what you were getting at if you choose to ignore my comment about the possibility of the terrain itself being partly responsible, as well as my personal body makeup, age, etc.

All said, I am in total agreement with HYOH.

Wheeew

Brick Robbins <brick at fastpack.com> wrote: On Dec 2, 2007 5:48 AM, g l  wrote:
> But one thing I've professed since my thru in '91, and that gets overlooked
> time and time again is this:  If you carry a 20lb pack, your body adjusts to
> a 20lb pack.  If you carry a 45lb pack your body adjusts to THAT!!!  Over
> the course of a thru, I believe the hiker carrying the heavier pack will be
> stronger than the one carrying the lighter pack.

Yes, and No.

I've been running for a long time, and I've watched new runners come
into the sports. Paying attention to their advances, and their
injuries, it seems to me that the following "fitness" progress happens

First 4-6 weeks, increase in cardio/pulmonary fitness.
6 weeks-1year increase in muscle fitness
1.5 year-2.5 years increase in connective tissue fitness

This progression leads to predictable types of injuries among newbie
runners, depending on how long they've been running.

I think the same applies to hikers, so while muscles of the heavy
weight pack hiker may be stronger, during the time frame of a thru
hike, the heavier weight pack is much more likely to cause
knee/hip/ankle problems.

Also I don't think the "heavier makes stronger" will work unless
adequate rest days are taken. Rest is an essential part of any
training program, and most Thrus don't take enough rest to recover
from serious stress - that is why lighter loads, which lead to reduced
body stress, reduce injury.

> I will admit to this:  When I finished my thru, it took 2 YEARS for my knees
> to get back to normal.  In other words, for 2 years, every time I bent down
> at the knees, they would hurt like crazy.  Then it went away.

It looks like the "rest of your story" supports what I was getting at.

HYOH

Brick