[pct-l] Ursack

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sat Dec 1 13:31:03 CST 2007

Ursack's website has been pretty good about mentioning what bags are currently approved and if there are any issues.  However, they can't control if they lose approval like they did in late 2006.  They did post on their website when they were notified that they were going to lose approval and the steps they were talking to fight it.
In late 2006, the Yellow Vectran Ursacks (V21) were pulled off the approved list due to several failures that year.  Even though everyone knew since the end of summer it was likely to happen, it was  removed from SIBBG's website around November.  Ursack had something on their website about it several weeks before.  In early spring 2007, Ursack published on their website that they were about to regain conditional approval by going back to the Green Spectra Ursack (S29) material from 2004 that had been hard to obtain due to high Military demand.  On May 9,2007, SIBBG gave the official approval for the Green Spectra Ursack (S29) providing you had the aluminium liner (sold seperately) and this information was published on SIBBG's website as well as Ursacks.  The combination of Ursack and Alum. Liner is called the S29 Ursack Hybrid on Ursack's and SIBBG's website.
There has been no indication that there were any major problems with Ursacks this year (other then the usual, let a bear work on the bag for 6+ hours and you will find all the food crushed/mixed together in the bag, but since the bear didn't eat, it isn't a failure).  Since their approval has not been pulled off of SIBBG's website and Ursack's website hasn't mentioned anything about losing approval, I think you are safe to assume that the S29 Hybrid will continue it's approval status for the 2008 season providing there are not several failures in the Spring that causes SIBBG to pull the approval before the PCT hoards pass through (which isn't likely).  If you want to wait longer, I think by March, you'd know.  If you really want to know what the SIBBG is thinking, try contacting them directly.
And while some models of the Bear Vault were restricted from the Rae Lakes area this past year, there was nothing from the SIBBG about the Ursack also being restricted.  But as I didn't camp there this year, I can only go by info on the website.
-Sean

Hmmm... I doubt the Ursack will be approved for the Rae Lakes area. It was not this year. Also, I guess there is some confusion about which sacks are legal in what areas. I bought two in 2006 only later to learn that they were not the approved model. That I needed to have the 2004 version in green fabric. Ursack (of course) didn't tell me that. Nor did I see any exchange program on there web site. They do make a nice expensive stuff sack though. :)

Robert

Does anyone know when the *SIBBG *announces its approved bear canisters
each
year?  I hope to be carrying an Ursack next year thru the Sierra, but
hesitate on purchasing one until i know that they will be approved to
use
during next years thru-hike season.**