[pct-l] Senzumbrellas... not yet

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Dec 1 11:58:13 CST 2007

_wandering_bob at comcast.net_ (mailto:wandering_bob at comcast.net)   writes: It
looks like they've sacrificed width for length, and most of that is to  the
rear where it does little good as a rain shield.
I would not worry about that.  Umbrellas are not really for rain on  the
trail.  They are mainly for radiation protection and dehydration  protection.
Their rain protection is always minimal because of the  wind/breezes.  In the
rain my umbrella is fine for the upper shoulders and  head protection.

Don't get me wrong.  I like walking under it in the rain and looking  out as
the wet world passes by -- that is kind of neat.  I think the  black color
might be best too for the sun and providing a deeper shade -- just  look at the
dark clothing the Arabs use in hot climates.  I do not think  heat is an issue
with the black color for an umbrella. Though you might  have a good point if
you added some reflective material and made it more  like the GoLite Chrome
Dome.  That would be cool (pun intended).   :-)  That could be done for about an
ounce of weight if you used that light  silver material in survival kits.

But now that I think about it, I wonder if the material on the GoLite  Chrome
Dome is just marketing hype.  Another consumer trick.  It looks  reasonable
and sensible, but is it really just a way to get more money out of  you -- the
material under the silver material is black, I think.  I am  not smart enough
to know one way or the other about reflective materials and  their true value.
 May be you know something about this.

Cheers, Switchback