[pct-l] question about comfort

Jon Danniken danniken at comcast.net
Tue Aug 28 19:30:11 CDT 2007

From: "Linda Bakkar" wrote:

> My hips aren't very big, but they aren't young either.  Anymore, I can't
> seem to find a comfortable position to sleep in, unless I find deep forest
> duff on which to place my tent, or soft sand where I can scoop out a hip
> hole before I set it up.  If it is hard ground, it takes me a long time to
> relax, and I don't sleep long before I have to turn over because of the
> pain
> in my hips.
>
> If any of you have had this problem, what have you done to solve it?  Or
> at
> least make it bearable?

As others have recommended, a thick air mattress is a good solution.  I was
rather unimpressed with the BigAgnes mattress, though, as it was not only
heavy, but heavier than their marketing department was willing to admit (by
almost eight ounces).  It was also pretty cold.

I am currently using an InsulMat from Pacific Outdoor Equipment.  I find the
long, insulated, mummy shape product to be the best for me, and it is still
working great after 30 nights on the trail.  It is lighter than the BA
product, and it keeps me warmer.

Jon