[pct-l] Spot Satellite Messenger

Dcsmith36 at aol.com Dcsmith36 at aol.com
Fri Aug 24 17:32:18 CDT 2007

For me, the wilderness is about going "off the grid" - no  power, no (
treated) running water, no grocery stores etc...  Back in the  old days, it was also
about risk & responsibility and getting yourself out  of the mess you got
into, intentionally or accidentally.  My sense is that  in this day and age, some
people are more comfortable knowing that help is just  a button push away, no
matter where they are.

If that is what it takes for them to enjoy the "wilderness  experience" then
God Bless them.

Myself, I uhhhh... carry a cell phone, a MP3 player (for lying  in my bag at
night waiting to go to sleep) and an LCD headlamp.  I also  have a nylon tent,
a down (nature!) sleeping bag, and all sorts of doo dads and  gee gaws that
insulate me from a true "wilderness experience".

:)

BN