[pct-l] Spot Satellite Messenger

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Thu Aug 23 22:16:27 CDT 2007

Tortoise,

I would have to agree with you, but given the recent number of responses that were in favor of all the so-called helpful graffitti, it would seem that we are probably in the minority.  I really struggle with some of the responses that suggest that the so-called helpful graffitti is really that, but several folks have suggested that they would rather rely on this so-called helpful graffitti than experience the wilderness and utilize their skills with maps/compasses and common sense to get them thru.

Last month I was up on the PCT north of Sierra City and found three of the sign posts that provide direction east into the Lakes Basin area (Mud Lake, Long Lake and Round Lake) to be tagged with this so-called helpful graffitti.  Why anyone would consider a need to tag these to note  N <--- PCT ---> S is beyond me and really does lessen the experience for me.  I would have to agree with the person that recently posted that the secondary tagging of the so-called helpful graffitti really isn't much worse from an ethical standpoint than the initial tagging.

It is funny that many of these sign markings have not changed significantly over a number of years, but only recently have folks seen the need to be so "helpful" to the fellow hikers.  I wonder what Mad Monty and Strider and these guys did back in 77 without all the so-called helpful tagging?

From: Tortoise <Tortoise73 at charter.net>