[pct-l] Water Update Section D

Matt Maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Mon Aug 20 08:34:38 CDT 2007

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley wrote:
> We've beenn doing some training hikes up in the San Gabriels, and wanted to update the following:
>
> Little Jimmy Spring, 8/12:  flowing well out of pipe.  Refreshing and cold.
>
> Burkhardt Creek (yellow-legged frog detour) 8/5:  flowing well, large pools.
>
> L-Rod

An addition to the Section D update.....
I was out to Mt Baden-Powell yesterday 8/19

Lamel Spring was not flowing... There is plenty of water in a pool
there, but no discernable flow.

I was out to the Big Horn Mine on 8/9 and water was flowing out of the
Fenner entrance 1.3 miles down the old road grade to the mine complex.
If Lamel was to dry up completely , this is a possible alternate source.

We where cold on the summit, the temperature was in the low 40's with a
steady 20-30mph wind, should have had a wind breaker! We could just make
out Olancha Peak, Mt Langley, & Mt Whitney in the haze 150 miles to the
north! Wow what a view....

We were out to Mt Islip on 8/17 and Little Jimmy was as always flowing
well, oh man! is that water good.

We also passed by Cortelyou Spring on Highway 2 (0.4 miles east of Islip
Saddle) and didn't see any flowing water, but didn't stop to investigate
either.

Cheers
Trail90

--