[pct-l] Transitions lenses for thru-hike?

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Wed Aug 15 17:18:16 CDT 2007

Another solution is LASIK surgery ... I did this several years ago, and it's
made backpacking a much easier and more pleasant experience.  I too had very
bad vision (near sighted), and apart from convenience and health safety
(contacts in the woods can do bad things to your eyes over time), I just
feel more confident now.  I was always a bit concerned about how helpless I
would be if anything happened to whatever glasses or contacts I was using.

And, for the very near sighted, the transition from contacts to glasses can
be awful --- parallax-induced headaches, nausea, loss of peripheral vision.

The surgery was briefly scary, but well well worth it for the above reasons,
plus other activities like bike riding, scuba diving, etc etc.

	Brian Lewis