[pct-l] Planning from overseas

Marshall Karon m.karon at comcast.net
Tue Aug 14 01:29:46 CDT 2007

I think it is more "preparing". Especially your body. If you just start
hiking without any preparation (training, proper equipment, shoes, etc.),
you may just not make it without a lot of pain and difficulty (although it
has been done and everyone learns as you go). So, for most folks who haven't
done a lot of long distance hiking, just getting your gear together can take
months. If you indeed mail yourself food, there is a lot of buying, sorting,
bagging, etc. And you need to walk, walk, walk. Get the guide books,
permits, etc.

Will it take 6 months? Probably not. On the other hand, you actually have
just started by thinking about it and finding this group - and April is 8
months away.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR