[pct-l] PCT records

David Toms ukstoveman at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 01:26:51 CDT 2007

I think squeaky set the unassisted record in 2005 with an 81 day 8.5hr thru
hike.

http://www.trailforums.com/detail.cfm?PostNum=5674

See here for more detail
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=116341

What's interesting in Squeaky's trailjournal link is that he runs through
some maths of how it should be possible to do a sub-70 day unassisted
record. I think he estimated that the snow slowed him down by 12 days, which
was quite a big impact. His theory in '05 was that the Horton
muled/supported record could fall to an unsupported hiker.

Of course, with records you start to open the whole 'purity' can of worms-
eg if someone takes a shortcut, does it 'disqualify' them, or do you adjust
for it...  Cue the full PCT olympics rule committee, complete with random
drug testing. The drug testing would really screw things up on the trail :-)

On the 'mature hikers' point - I'd have thought Tough Old Broad would
feature somewhere in that - looks like she completed her 10-yr section hike
plan at age 70 in 2006.  http://www.wild-ideas.net/news/blogger.html  We met
her in 05 - very impressive lady.

Dave

PS Strider? Age 11?  How much did he pay you to put that one in... :-)