[pct-l] PCT Day in Cascade Locks - Aug. 11

Angela Ballard angelamwalker at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 13:25:18 CDT 2007

Hello! I am posting the following message on behalf of
Dana Berthold, the PCTA's regional representative for
northern Oregon and southern Washington.
Thanks!
-Angela Ballard

The Port of Cascade Locks would like to invite you to
participate in the Columbia Gorge's first ever Pacific
Crest Trail Day!  Come celebrate the highest point of
the season here at the lowest point on our great
National Scenic Trail.

This Spring, nearly 300 hearty souls embarked on the
2,650 mile journey from the border of Mexico to the
border of Canada.  After several months on the trail,
the remaining thru-hikers and other long-distance
trail users will be passing through Cascade Locks in
early August.  We are inviting thru-hikers,
equestrians, volunteers, other trail lovers and
community members to the event.  Building on the
tradition of Cascade Locks as a trail town, the
Pacific Crest Trail Association has recently located a
new Regional Office in Cascade Locks. And our downtown
now features the Pacific Crest Pub and Hostel
(formerly Salmon Row).

On Saturday August 11th at 10:00am,  we will all meet
up at the Pacific Crest Trailhead in Cascade Locks, at
the at the entrance to the Bridge of the Gods – Toll
Bridge Park, for a short day hike on the PCT.  Hikers
can choose from a 1.8 mile hike to Dry Creek or a 6
mile hike to Herman Creek Campground.  Free shuttle
service will be provided back to the trailhead.  There
will also be an opportunity for trail lovers to give
back with a bit of trail maintenance.  In the early
afternoon, we will gather back at the trailhead for
food and drinks!

See this posting on the PCTA website: http://www.pcta.org/general/calendar.asp

Angela Ballard
Writer/Editor