[pct-l] zachs section hike maps

Doug Musso dougmusso at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 23:36:27 CDT 2007

zach wrote:

From: Zachary Hale <zacriah85 at gmail.com>
To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Oregon maps?
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 8:39 AM

I'm going to be doing a section hike this August from Jefferson Park to
Crater Lake. This is my first decent sized hike. Any reccomendations as to
what size of maps I should get and where to get them? I have a few National
Forest maps and I like the detail  but is it necessary to carry so many of
these huge maps? Anyways, any advice about maps or anything else from
you more experienced hikers would be great. Thanks so much!

Check the oregon maps from the PCTA.org . There are three maps covering the
oregon PCT. I think the middle Oregon map would serrve you well.  They are
available at many hiking stores in Oregon and also probably from the
PCTA.org site.At a store you could look at which map applies and also see if
meets your need. If it works out for you you shoukd plan a  swim at Big Lake
south of hiway 20. and sleep at or near the Dee Wright Observatory at hiway
242. If the road is still closed to thru traffic there will be little
traffic at night and the Observatory is amazing. Sunset and Sunrise is
spectacular.  Check recent post about a ride to sisters from that area. Be
carefull of unstable rocks climbing out of Milk Creek. Have a good hike.
Doug