[pct-l] Muddy Fork Survival

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Thu Aug 2 12:31:07 CDT 2007

Story here about a hiker pinned by a boulder while negotiating the Muddy
Fork on the NW side of Mt. Hood:
http://www.mhuot.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=12402

The original PCT route crosses the Muddy Fork in this vicinity. I haven't
crossed there since 2003 and it was not easy then.  This winter's storms
apparently upped the ante.  An alternate route with a good log bridge has
been built downstream of the problematic crossing.  Northbounders should
find good signs after crossing the Sandy River (they were there last year)
directing them to the alternate route which also has a stock ford.  The
storms also gave the Sandy a facelift and washed out the trail, but I'm told
the ford is marked and hikeable.  I haven't approached this area from the
south so I'm not sure how good the signs are for southbounders coming in
from Lolo Pass.

Wayne Kraft