[pct-l] pct-l Digest, Vol 42, Issue 41

Kim Owen hikenkim at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 00:20:36 CDT 2007

Jo,

I was on Mt Hood April 13 doing some PCT recon in the Ramona Falls area.
Snow patches started about 3200' but they were only about 18"  deep. I did not
go much higher due to time.

Based on my experience in the area, I believe you will not have too much snow in the
area you mention in mid May this year. But you never know. We may have work crews up there
by then, so check the PCTA web site for conditions. I plan to check the trail conditions
around 4000' before then on the SW side of Mt Hood. and they should get posted.
FWIW, May is a little early to be hiking up in that area, but it was a low snow year
so far. You might  have a better hike going from Lolo Pass to Stabler in May.
Drop me a line (hikenkim at yahoo.com) and I will try to keep you posted.

Of  bigger concern is that sections of the official PCT have been washed out near Ramona Falls.
While I have not surveyed the entire stretch, I would recommend that you take the alternate
(original PCT) route over to Ramona Falls then back to the PCT. It is much prettier and has less
damage.

We hope to get a work crew in there by June to mark an alternate path around the damage.
the problem is that the road bridge to Ramona Falls trail head is washed out, as well as
sections of the access trail.

Regarding your June-July trip, you are again on the shoulder season, and could end up
slogging through miles of snow in Indian Heaven and around Mt Adams.

Happy Hiking,
Kim

Can anyone in the Portland area (or anyone who knows the area) tell me what
the possibility of a hike on May 12 from Little Crater Lake (elev 3230 ft)
to Barlow Pass (elev 4157 ft)is? Is there snow there now and is it likely to
still be there then (yes, I know we can get more snow anyway), but we'd like
to get an idea.

Also, we are considering hiking the next section from Barlow Pass (elev 4157
ft) to White Pass (elev 4405 ft)from June 30 to July 8. this section tops
out at elev 6680 ft. Can anyone in that area give me an idea of what the
conditions are like there now, and project the possibility of doing this at
that time of year? We can hike through some snow, but are not interested in
slogging through miles and miles of it!

Thank you in advance for any info/advice you can give.

(list lurker) Jo