[pct-l] Questions on Donations for DVD's

Ryan Christensen yosemiteryan at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 01:00:33 CDT 2007

Andrea:
I wanted to go ahead and reply to your question on the
list, as your question about donations is one that a
lot of people have asked us in recent days. These
DVD’s are indeed a gift from the heart, and they are
given freely. All who want one should receive one.  To
me this idea of freely giving is another one of the
beautiful things about this DVD series- it reflects
and is an extension of the PCT experience. Donations
are accepted to cover production and mailing costs,
but are not expected, asked for, or required. It is
indeed a gift, as many have given to me, Weathercarrot
and other hikers on our journeys.

I remember two years ago when I was introduced to this
DVD series by replying to Weathercarrots offer to
receive the 2004 DVD for people who were on the PCT-L.
When I got it in the mail, I immediately put it in the
DVD player and was blown away. Actually, I can
honestly say it nudged the course of my life to the
direction it is now leading. One of the things that
really struck me is how he distributed the DVD. Such a
gift of the heart is a rare thing in this world. It
was genuine. It is in this same spirit that trail
angels (such as yourself) open up their home to
hikers. Also in this same spirit are the many others
who provide transportation or food to hikers on the
trail. What a rare and precious gift in this
capitalist world.

Indeed there are expenses involved in a project of
this scope. If, like the rest of the world, we figured
time as money, the combined cost of the '06 and '03
DVD's would be many tens of thousands of dollars.
However, I like to think that the spirit of this DVD
series transcends this way of thinking. It is a labor
of love. That is priceless. What is important is that
everyone who wants a DVD may receive one.

Another possibility is to contribute to the Pacific
Crest Trail Association. I consider the PCT to be one
of the few and endangered ways to experience true
freedom in this world—and the PCTA is the guardian and
defenders of this freedom. The PCTA works towards
insuring that there is an actual trail for hikers to
follow, and that the land the trail crosses is free of
development and in public hands.

They are can be reached at www.pcta.org
Pacific Crest Trail Association
5325 Elkhorn Blvd., PMB #256
Sacramento, CA 95842-2526
(916) 349-2109

Besides donations, there are another ways people can
help: Once someone receives a DVD, they too can
duplicate it and mail it to others who would like a
copy—another unique aspect of this series. The roots
of this series are grounded in the community of hikers
who submitted photos and video. Its branches are
comprised of the many people who offer to duplicate
and give the DVD to others.

Thanks for asking, and thank-you for hosting me during
my hike last summer.

ProDeal