[pct-l] hiking and ACL

JoAnn M. Michael jomike at cot.net
Sun Apr 15 14:16:10 CDT 2007

I pulled the MCL hard enough to fracture the femur a slight bit while hiking in Castle Crags State Park back in December. Very sadly in early January I fell at home and a tear of the ACL, same leg, resulted. It's a long boring story as to why such a time delay, but I have my surgery in less than two weeks.

Per my surgeon and all that I've researched, it depends on how the injury is treated, in large part will effect your ability to hike and engage in other athletic activities. If it was treated by physical therapy, etc. with no reconstruction, it's my understand there is a significant risk of re-injury with an active life style. I made it clear to my doc. that I was, and will remain, a hiker. That is a large part for the decision of surgery to reconstruct the ligament (and repair the meniscus). If she did not have a corrective operation, I would strongly suggest some sort of approved brace for support to avoid re-injury.

As you may know, the ligament does not go back to normal length after being stretched and/or pulled significantly. Consequently, to have a ligament as strong as when you were born, you're looking at total reconstruction. A real down size to surgery...I've been advised I'm looking at 6 to 9 months of rehabilitation. Result - I miss a year of hiking :(  But, then again, I've been told, the ligament will be so strong for there to be no need for any kind of brace or other support.

I also, sadly have learned, it does not repair any other problems you went into the accident with; arthritis and any other issue(s) with your knee, remains. Which, for me means, I'll still have painful knees. By the way, it's my right knee also.

Good luck and I'd love to hear from you down the line. Take care and be safe, and, ENJOY your hike...nothing ventured; nothing gained  :)

are we there yet