[pct-l] NOBO late start date....bad year for it

Scott Polewach spolewach at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 14 09:49:23 CDT 2007

Well...it turns out that this year seems to be a terrible time to start a
NOBO hike towards the middle of May.  I planned on doing Springer-Harper's
Ferry on the AT before headed out West to do the PCT, and will be starting
may 18th.  I figure out that shpwing up in real good hiking shape will be a
huge advantage for the desert section.

I picked such a late starting date because I enjoy hiking faster/longer days
and I figured that if I started may 18th I'd still hit Kennedy Meadows
towards the middle/end of June.

So...the desert section sounds like it will be real brutal this year for me.
  I plan on doing almost only nighthiking (carrying a solar charger and
recharchable batteries with a zipkia), spending my afternoons by water
sources and drinking obscene amounts of water while trying to sleep under a
shade spot/tarp.

I also plan on adding a hydration lumbar/fanny to my current setup so that I
can carry lots of water (8 Liters should cut it?), or even using a giant
camelbak instead of a normal backpack until I get to KM.  I also plan on
having a small resevoir that I actually drink of so that I can know how much
water I'm going through.

Will all this be enough, or should I think about just hopping a bus to KM
and flip-flopping?  Is there a bailout from the desert if it's too rough
after a couple of days where I could hitch/catch a bus to KM and flip-flop?
Will trying to do the desert in the fall be even more brutal than trying to
do it in May?  Should I try getting my flight moved up?

thanks

Hermes