[pct-l] dry conditions in SoCal

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Tue Apr 10 23:41:38 CDT 2007

Please take it all seriously when people tell you it is really hot and
dry here.  It's the driest winter on record since they started keeping
records in 1887.
We did trail maintenance in Section C last weekend, from highway 18 to
Van Dusen Canyon.  We removed four dead trees from the trail.  We
removed three trees that had fallen but had gotten hung up and were
hanging over the trail like the sword of Damocles.
We felled nine dead trees ranging from 6 inches to 24 inches thick, that
were standing right next to the trail.  The irony is that we counted
over 100 other standing, dead trees right next to the trail in that
stretch.  It would be easy to spend a week just felling trees in this 7
mile microsegment of trail.  The combination of drought and bark beetles
is wiping out the SoCal forests.
We could not figure out how to get any water out of the faucets at Doble
Trail Camp.  If there is a secret to operating these, and someone knows
the secret, please tell the rest of us.  Caribou Creek was dry.
Therefore, we found no water supply at all in this stretch.  Fortunately
our llamas carried enough water for us.
As we drove home we saw running water in Cienaga Seca Creek.
We met one thru hiker.  He is a big hefty guy who says he started early
so he could lose weight before the pack catches up to him.  He told us
that there were a lot of deadfalls between Hiway 18 and Mission Creek,
but he couldn't be specific about any locations.
We will be spending several more weekends cleaning up tree obstacles in
section C.  If you should be hiking any piece of trail and encounter log
obstacles that need to be cleared, or any other trail damage, please
report them to Pete Fish so he can send out a crew such as ours to
remove them.  The  more specific you can be about location, the better.
GPS coordinates are hugely appreciated.
Marion Davison