[pct-l] Fire danger may close forests

Marcia gottawalk at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 10 13:53:03 CDT 2007

Wouldn't be the first time to close forests due to fire danger.  Several New
Mexico National Forests were closed in 2002 forcing CDT hikers onto roads.
One forest Ranger gave permits to thru hikers so he could keep track of
numbers and let hikers take an alternater route through Cibola NF. The
permit was good for a dirt road walk, no stoves allowed and water drops on
the road. The Ranger knew some thru hikers would ignore the closure but the
special permits gave the FS some contol. I liked that system!

I also hope that if the PCT runs through a forest closure that the PCTA
could negotiate a special permit for thru hikers.