[pct-l] toilet paper is on the PCT

Jeff Moorehead jeffmoorehead1 at cox.net
Mon Apr 9 14:30:21 CDT 2007

On my thru-hike last year, I tried several times, but to no avail, to
convince people that toilet paper simply does not degrade and should be
packed out. In fact, it has a way of sneaking out from under the rocks that
people use to "bury" it. I took pictures of the toiltet paper and other
waste I encountered along the trail. Not what you would call "aesthetically
pleasing photographs", but my intention is to use them in any talks I might
give of my experience on the trail.
 I encountered a number of rationalizations for this behavior, but none of
them sat well with me and went against science anyway. I was amazed that
people who were the least santitary individuals I encountered on the trail
were the most frightened to pack out their own used toilet tissue! Lest any
hikers are thinking about rationalizing leaving their paper waste along the
PCT, please realize that this is a major issue confronting the trail. Pack
out your waste paper. If you can't stand to look at it, put it in a WAG bag
and add a small sponge soaked in ammonia to further sanitize the bag. But
please PACK IT OUT!! I used to dream up the kind of punishments I would dole
out to offenders I caught in the act. You really don't want to hear about
these ;)
Whiptail
 member-in-good-standing, So Cal PCT waste police