[pct-l] burney falls site

Matt Geis mgeis at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 12:17:18 CDT 2007

I had a good stay at the hiker site at Burney Falls SP.  I don't remember if it was free or not.  There's lots of great food to be had in town (several miles away).  I did find that getting a hitch was harder there than other places along the trail, despite a smile, wave, etc.  However, it all worked out, as it usually does.  Just be sure to mark the correct resupply address on your box -- the PCTA address labels on the website are for town, not for the SP.

If you're not in a hurry, a good two days hike is to leave Old Station early afternoon, check out the Subway Cave, continue on up to Cache 22 (if it's in operation this year), enjoy the sunset and the views of Lassen and Shasta (flanked by paragliders), then wake up the next morning for a hike in to the SP.  Stop for lunch along the way near the PG&E station (away from the station is a fish farm and some pretty waterfront locations for a break).  Keep your eyes open for bald eagles on the 12 miles prior to the park.

Iron Chef