[pct-l] split hiking day

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Mon Apr 9 11:14:59 CDT 2007

I learned the split hiking day method on my trek at Philmont Scout Ranch
in '95.  Philmont is located in NE New Mexico in hot dry mountain
terrain.  Water is so scarce that swimming and wading are prohibited to
keep all water supplies pristene.  We hiked by the recommended
schedule--rise early and hike until noon, stopping at a water supply.
Cook your hot meal in the middle of the day, and rest until 4.  Then
resume hiking and eat your lunch while hiking along the trail, for
dinner, making camp at dusk.
Marion