[pct-l] Responsible Hiker or Knucklehead

Robert E. Riess robert.riess at cox.net
Sun Apr 8 18:02:21 CDT 2007

Well said, Switchback.  In my experience, most antisocial behavior is a
direct result of TMTD, Too Much To Drink.

Now, for the Class of  07 and all section hikers:  This week I will
establish a small sign and a box of litter bags at the trailhead.  If one
hiker from each group would take a bag and pick up some trash in the first
20 miles, we can make a real difference.  A few years ago, this stretch was
full of litter. Boxes of discarded clothing and hundreds of water bottles.
I won't get into who threw it there, but it was the hiking community who
cleaned it up.  Last year for the first time I heard from several of you
that there was no or very little trash between the border and Lake Morena.
I am happy to make the 100 yd radius circle around the monument my personal
cleaning station.  I check it over 30 times a season.  It has now been
almost ten months since a large number of thruhikers traversed this section.
We have improved the situation with the Minutemen and their portapotty.
This year, let's do it; let's get all the trash.  Sincere and grateful
thanks to you all.  Hike on !  Bob Riess at the trailhead.