[pct-l] Responsible Hiker or Knucklehead

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Sun Apr 8 13:03:12 CDT 2007

When it comes to correcting someone's actions on the trail, or anywhere else
for that matter, I would like to put forth an alternative to the "do it in
public at this second" mode.  One of the best companies I ever worked for
had written into their policy "we commend in public and criticize in
private".  Over the 25 years since reading that I have watched this idea,
and its opposite, play-out in many situations.  Only over the years have I
come to really appreciate the sense in that idea.

The basic idea here is first to determine your goal.  In my opinion, the
goal is to correct the behavior.  This will be best achieved if you can
criticize in private.   Done publicly you are much more likely to get
retaliation, resentment, and possibly more of the same behavior as
retribution or the "you don't tell me what to do" response.  Please excuse
the language, but I think we could call it the "f*&k you" response.

If you call someone out in front of others, you are much less likely to
achieve the goal.  If you get a persons ego in defense mode the results will
be mixed.  Even if the behavior is corrected at that moment, the long term
change is much more likely to be only temporary.

I know it is not always possible to take someone aside.  I would suggest
though that most of the time we would be better off to allow the behavior to
continue for a few minutes if it means we will get the chance to do this in
private.  Note I said most of the time.  I do not need the examples where
waiting would not be prudent, there are exceptions.  If we wait to take them
aside, we may end up with another few minutes of poor behavior and the
results, but we are much more likely to achieve a long term correction.

I have seen people who in the criticizing of another actually have two
goals.  Their secondary goal is to correct the behavior.  The primary goal
is to thump their chest and spend energy on the showmanship of "look how
good I am" "I am the protector of all things good" display.

Again, the idea on which approach to take is to first be clear on the goal
and then determine which approach is likely to achieve it.

Some may think that trying to take someone aside is pussy-footing and that
someone should be called out right now, right here, in public, on the spot.
I do understand that bravado and the anger that goes with it.  I am not
immune.  However, if you disagree that this approach is the lesser of the
two, I would suggest over time you observe these types of situations and
determine which approach was more likely to get the desired result.

My deepest thought for the day.  Now I am tired again.

BillB