[pct-l] to olympia from manning park

Roger Carpenter rogercarpenter at comcast.net
Thu Apr 5 21:14:36 CDT 2007

Hi Laurel,
One option for hiking from Manning to Olympia would be to hike southbound
briefly on the PCT from Manning and connect with the Pacific Nortnwest
Trail.  Check out the maps of the PNWT:  http://www.pnt.org/  This route
would take you into Olympic National Park via the San Juan Islands ferries
and Port Townsend.  Once in Olympic NP you could hike southbound along the
Elwah River over Low Divide Pass to the Quinalt River.  This is a classic
hike that roughly follows the historic route of the 1889-90 Press
Expedition, who were was like Lewis & Clark of the Olympic Penninsula.  From
there you have several options on other trails in the park that would get
you to Hwy 101 on the east side of the park. From there you would simply
walk Hwy 101 to Olympia, about 75 miles.  Even if you just chose to skip
Olympic NP and instead walk 101 from Port Townsend you would have a nice
road walk along Hood Canal.

Part of me would guess that once you get to Manning Park you will be ready
to go straight home!  Who knows?  The PWNT-Olympic NP hike would be
interesting in itself and I might even do it someday!  Thanks for giving me
a great idea!  Good luck this year on the PCT.

Roger