[pct-l] Where you at?

joel01 at ekit.com joel01 at ekit.com
Tue Apr 3 18:33:35 CDT 2007

For hiking in Europe you might want to refer to the site for the European Ramblers,
http://www.era-ewv-ferp.org/

If you look under their Long Distance Paths section you will see the amazing network of
routes that criss-cross the continent. I used this as a starting point for a walk I did in
2004.

For the Alps, I came along a route that covers the length of  Austria called the
Nordalpenweg, it goes from the Hungarian to the Swiss border, connecting with other
trails in those 2 countries.

Also I learned of a newer route that intersected my path for a way called, Via Alpina. It
goes from Slovenia (part of the old Yugoslavia) and loops around through Italy, Austria,
Switzerland, France and Monaco. I only know the section where it merged with
Nordalpenweg, but I am sure there is info in English for it on the web.

I highly recommend the trails in Bulgaria. Either the Rila and Pirin mountains down south
or the northerly Kom-Emine trail along the spine of the Stara Planina mountains from the
Black Sea to the Serbian border. And yes, it's safe to travel there.

Oh, and I am in Washington state, for all of a week now. Just flew in from Europe, having
been out of the US for some time.

Joel