[pct-l] Tarp/Bivy Combination in Washington?

Mark Jernigan footslogger03 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 18:00:46 CDT 2007

Here's a question    ...

  What about a tarp style tent (floorless) and a bug bivy.   Have that combination right now and was considering carrying it on the PCT.  I'm guessing that by the time I get to Oregon/Washington the bug bivy might become "excess baggage", since the option of sleeping out under the stars is somewhat rare     ...but it sure would be a nice treat down south.

  Mark J (Footslogger)

Jim Keener <jlkeener at yahoo.com> wrote:
  --- Steel-Eye wrote:

> I haven't used the bivy/tarp combination but expect
> that the sum of their
> weights would about equal one of the little
> backpacker tents, and the tent
> would likely be less trouble, overall.

Thanks for the response, Steel-Eye. You're probably
right. If the weights were about the same, I might go
with the combination in order to get cover (tarp) up
before putting out a semi-shelter (bivy). I got a
soaked tent in January on the Lost Coast and have been
trying to figure out ways to avoid that in the future.

Best,
J J

http://electricpath.com
http://persuasiongraphics.com