[pct-l] Tarp/Bivy Combination in Washington?

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Tue Apr 3 17:41:07 CDT 2007

Good afternoon, JJ,

I used a TrailDad pattern tarp/poncho throughout most of Washington and
experienced a fair amount of rain, but I didn't use a bivy with it.  The
first rain was south of Chinook Pass, then about 4 more days between Stevens
Pass and around the original PCT west of Glacier Peak.  I didn't get out of
it until I was almost to High Bridge.  Above High Bridge it was mostly clear
and cold but it did spit dry snow a few times. The wind was average, and I
had no trouble keeping dry.

This year I'll do much the same, except I don't like to wear the tarp as a
poncho for very long so I'll use separate raingear and a different tarp.
This tarp doesn't have the head-hood, and it is a bit wider so I can A-frame
pitch it close to the ground and still have a reasonable of head clearance.

I haven't used the bivy/tarp combination but expect that the sum of their
weights would about equal one of the little backpacker tents, and the tent
would likely be less trouble, overall.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4645