[pct-l] my first PCT Question

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 13:01:21 CDT 2007

 Hi Kuurva

 You're right, the PCT-L is a mess. I should know better than to be on it.
 It's kind of like a store we have in the US called Walmart.  I don't like
 go there because there's often a lot of loud screaming (kids), but they
have
 things there that make my life better.

 1. Like someone just posted, I've never been in the Sierras without a bear
 canister (that I remember),  but the answer to your question is not yes or
 no unless you determine it so (very, very unlikely in Yosemite).
 Regulations to the varous areas look like this:
 http://www.sierrawildbear.gov  USFS map as of 3/21/07

 and written PCT south to north
 http://www.onthetrail.org/Outdoors/PCT/pctlinks.htmln

 2. Trekking polesI use them mostly for uphill, carrying heavier loads, and
 as my tarp/tent poles.

 3.  Enough maps to do the trail are in the three books called the Pacific
 Crest Trail Guidebook .  They are listed on www.pcta.org with a lot of
other
 planning info.  also at Pacific Crest Trail Guide Book    www.amazon.com

 Welcome to Walmart

 Warner Springs Monty

 Here's a lot of other info where you might find something helpful:

 Trip Planning Information

 Monty Tam  (Warner Springs Monty)  montytam at gmail.com

 Water Reports   http://4jeffrey.com

     Where to find water from Mexico to the Sierras

 Craig's PCT Planner  http://www.pctplanner.com

 "·  Choosing resupply locations

 ·  Determining how many days of food are needed between resupply points

 ·  Projecting arrival dates at each resupply location

 ·  Adjusting your hiking time based on terrain

 ·  Gathering addresses of each post office that you will be using"

     "This list is for discussion of all things related to the PCT, planning
 for thru-hikes or section-hikes, trail-threats, trail maintenance, horse
 riding, llama packing, anything having to do with the PCT."

 Kick Off  http://pct77.org/adz/

     An event put on by an organization whose sole purpose is to help
 hikers. for free

     End of April on the trail 20 miles north of the border.

     Includes presentations on up to date water reports, trail conditions
 and many other topics .

     *It is highly suggested to start your hike before or after the date of
 this event so as not to      negatively impact the trail, trail towns and
 trail angels in Southern California.  (Check the ADZPCTKO (Kick Off) site
 and the PCT-List for ways to travel to and from the event from the trail.)

 mailing labels http://www.pcta.org//planning/before_trip/labels.asp

 Pacific Crest Trail Association http://www.pcta.org

 Resupply mailing labels from the PCTA
 http://www.pcta.org//planning/before_trip/labels.asp

 Tons of info and help including email addresses to nice people with advise.
 They can set you up with a mentor.

 free detailed maps of Section A and some B http://hikertrash.net/

 fire permit http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/documents/campfirepermit.pdf

 fax to: 530.934.7384

 Thru-hiker hiking permit form
 http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/permits/thru_permit_form.html

 This permit covers hiking any section of the PCT.  It requires that the
 holder be hiking at least 500 miles.

 Thru-hiker permit info
 http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/permits/general.asp

 REI 1.800.426.4840  Order emergency gear from the trail by phone.

 BOOKS

 Pacific Crest Trail Guide Book    www.amazon.com

 (Three books:  Southern California, Northern California, Oregon/Washington)