[pct-l] Lake Hughes-Mojave/Tehachapi Alternate Route Closed

Mike Hergert mikehergert at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 12:51:58 CDT 2007

The northbound alternate route out of Lake Hughes as described in the Guidebook is no longer possible.  My wife and I hiked sections E & F two weeks ago and Los Angeles Department of Water and Power has recently built security fences around Fairmont Reservoir, the dam, and the exposed portions of the California Aqueduct.  We tried to get around the fences to both the east and west to no avail.  The fencing seems to continue as far as the eye can see.  I suspect you could get around to the east by following the fence to wherever the aqueduct goes underground, but it might be a pretty significant detour to the east (you could probably investigate this on Google Earth).  We ended up retreating to Lake Hughes to get back to the trail.  This also means that the water sources at Fairmont Reservoir and the Aquduct are now impossible, so it's also a long dry section.  The alternate route was probably not a great option in any event, but now it's even less appealing.