[pct-l] Warner Springs loop

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Tue Apr 3 11:43:52 CDT 2007

AsABat wrote:
> Switchback, I'm so jealous. The Warner Springs loop. That is one of my
> gaps on the PCT. Yes, I was going southbound from Highway 79 at the Agua
> Caliente bridge, heading towards the southern Highway 79 crossing.
> Halfway there, I realized there was no way I was going to make it, and
> the cows were threatening me, so I turned around and hiked back to the
> start. Now I have this huge gap in the PCT hike. Hopefully someday I can
> be as strong as you and finish up this embarrassing problem.
>
> AsABat

the key to surviving the warner springs loop is to take advantage of its
unique positioning to facilitate a slack-pack. don't even *try* to
tackle this section of trail with a pack on- you'll never make it. most
won't make it even unencumbered, so you should definitely think real
hard about whether or not you have what it takes. otherwise, do the
smart thing and just skip it in favor of the road-walk- it's a vastly
more safe option.

gs