[pct-l] Hiking poles

arm chair armchairhiker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 11:44:36 CDT 2007

Hmm..I must confess, though I am an advocate of lower priced gear when
possible, I'd be hesitant to use walmart poles on a 4-5 month thru-hike.

True!

I was thinking of this part -
--------------
 If you are curious about hiking poles, but not quite ready to shell out
some money for them yet, try going to a Good will or used sporting goods
store.

Ski poles can be had for $5-$10 or so a pair. Try them out.

If you like them, you can get the more expensive trekking poles.

If you don't find them useful, you are out $10.
-----------------

The Walmart idea seems to fit in the above thought. and if you don't like
them - keep the receipt and Walmart will refund your money!  Or if you did
use them on a hike - it seems that Walmart is everywhere, you could get a
replacement pair.

I definitely agree that poor quality poles are not a value on a hike if they
bend or break! I like REI because they back what they sell to your
satisfaction. Mine are carbon fiber poles that Monty suggested due to their
light weight - 5 oz each. I have bent my aluminum poles by tripping and
using them as a crash pad - didn't help. I could sort of straighten them
tho. I exchanged them for new ones at REI. Later I bought Carbon Fiber ones
and when I trip.... well I try not to land on the poles! They don't bend,
just break!

Paul has hiked alot of miles, so I would go with his opions first!

It's a thought,
- armchair