[pct-l] Language on the Trail

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Apr 3 01:01:03 CDT 2007

_natelafranchi at yahoo.com_ (mailto:natelafranchi at yahoo.com)   writes: More and
more people will seek refuge in places like the  PCT
everyday.  It is inevitable.
It is interesting that the only thing I notice different on the PCT and JMT
in the Sierras are a few more ruts as people make trails next to the older
trail  trace.  I first hiked on the JMT and PCT in 1970.  Looks about the  same
to me today as then except the trail might be a little more worn.  And  I am
not sure about that except in certain areas.

But you go 10 feet off the trail,  and everything is the same.  That is what
I like about Mother Nature.   It does not take too much time to heal and
replace.  Well, in human term  may be it takes a long time, but in the grand scheme
of things it is  nothing.

Outside of some domesticated animals and plants, if we all disappeared
tomorrow, all the world's living things would not wake up the next day and say,
"Hey, where did all the humans go?"  "Boy, I sure miss them." "This place  is
not going to be same without them." "What are we going to do now?" "I  guess we
are going to have to learn to carry on without them." "What a  bummer not to
have those good old humans around."

We would not be missed one second and everything would go along just  fine.
That is how important we are.  What a joke we are with our ego  and self
importance.  We are nothing, even with our supposed mastery of the  earth.  We are
really just part of the living planet to survive or die like  everything else.

But of course, there are  exceptions, God willing.  Trail Pirates are
important and would be kept  around.  :-)