[pct-l] Ice Axe

Richard Woods wpsnotebook at charter.net
Fri Sep 22 14:25:10 CDT 2006

I also like the BD Raven 65 cm copy, a good basic axe, not too heavy.
Haven't seen anybody mention a leash yet (maybe later in the digest?)
but I use it. Say you fall and the ax gets away from you, with the
leash you have a chance to get it back and regain control. Also, do
your basic training wearing a pack. You really need to learn how to
compensate for that added weight and different balance.

Whatever you have or choose, it won't do you any good if you don't
know how to use it. Any thing is better than nothing, some pieces of
gear work better that others for a specific circumstance. Maybe some
of the Fuller ridge and Forrester Pass vets could weigh in on the
subject of the all-around most likely conditions encountered for
those stretches of trail. Obviously snow conditions can change
rapidly, I'm just wondering what experience tells us is the most
likely condition a thru will run into.

FWIW, I've done a quarter-mile slide without crampons or an ax down a
50+ degree slope. Started out as a glissade that quickly got out of
control. Luckily I only got a few bruises on elbows and butt,
shredded the palms of my hands, trashed a new pair of original Levi
jeans and my pack, lost a few pieces of gear, and wore the heels off
a heavy pair of waffle stompers before I got control on the run-out
at the bottom. Nothing like flailing along at better than twenty
miles an hour or so over an icy washboard for a lifetime measured in
seconds to make a believer out of you.

Rick