[pct-l] Libido and the Hiker

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Thu Sep 21 20:36:13 CDT 2006

_reinholdmetzger at cox.net_ (mailto:reinholdmetzger at cox.net)   writes:

I.......  don't smoke,....... I don't drink,........SEX  IS  MY  ONLY
VISE......that is why I do care about living until I'm 80.

I was not going to get  into "SuperSecret of Backpacking - Sex" advise.  But
my  responsibilities to the community requires a response.  The most important
 thing to remember is that you CANNOT be involved with sex and be a PCT
hiker.

First, it keeps yo awake too  late at night when you should be resting.  Or
it keeps you up too late in  the early morning when you should be on the trail.

Secondly, it is an activity that saps your energy.  Not good.   Not what a
hiker needs to be involved with.

Thirdly, this activity can lead to familiarity.  After it is over  someone
might think they can call you by your first name or even your  trialname!  This
is a serious violation of trial etiquette.  Only your  friends and those you
specifically okay can call you by your trailname.   Otherwise, it is always
"Mister Switchback, Mister Scruffy, Mister Grizzly",  etc.

Fourth, you leave yourself open to criticism and grading.  Who needs  that?
What if it gets up and down the trail about your less than stellar
performance.  That would be real nice to hike along with.  Everyone  talking behind your
back.

Fifth, it is probably illegal.  Some places along the PCT it is most  likely
illegal and subject to a fine.  What if a Ranger comes along  and gives you
ticket for having sex?  Now what?  Guess who is going to  be stuck paying that
ticket?  You!

Sixth, you could be kicked out of hiking events.  Have you read the  fine
print on attending the April Kickoff, the ALDHA-West Gathering, and the  PCTA
TrailFest?  You cannot just show up at these events and not be  held to a
standard of conduct and decorum.  It is a rule of participation -  no sex at any of
these events!

Seventh, sex too often makes your trip memories fuzzy.  Your memories  should
be centered on your hike.  You are out there to be with the  trail and not
some interpersonal relationship.

Eighth, sex takes away your time and focus on hiking.  Your time is  valuable
and you should be using it for hiking trip preparations or  hiking.  Anything
that interferes with your total focus on the PCT and  hiking is bad.

Ninth, sex is too complex and time consuming.  Hiking is simple and
straightforward.  Hiking is user friendly, sex is not.  You can spend  all your time
trying to figure out what you said or did or did not do and why  the other
person is now mad at you.  Good luck trying to figure all that  out.  You could
have been on the trail cranking out big mileages.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.  I could go on and  on.  I know
all hard core backpackers know all this and abide by these  rules.  Just
remember, "No sex if you are a PCT hiker."

I am getting a little worried about you and your commitment to our
hiking/PCT activities.

Your "Dear Abbey" of the Trail, Switchback