[pct-l] Stevens Pass to Goat Rocks hike (pics!)

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Thu Sep 14 20:05:33 CDT 2006

PCT hikers,
I've spent the last week uploading my photos, and replenishing lost beer
reserves since I've returned home from my 16day--200mile hike on the PCT
from Stevens Pass to the Goat Rocks Wilderness. I placed my last PCT step at
Cispus Pass last Saturday with Monte Dodge among a large herd of mountain
goats. Monte was my trail angel, and was instrumental in making this trip a
grand success, and I thank him greatly. I took my first step on the PCT in
1976, and would have hiked this section on my way from Seiad Valley to
Canada if my knees and mind were working in unison. However, to make a long
story short, with the current old body and experienced mind, I had a grand
first adventure in Washington. The PCT and weather were a formidable
challenge, with the hills, heat, cold, rain, wind, and snow. I met close to
two dozen of this year's thruhikers while I hiked south, and a few section
hikers also. I shared this adventure with my high spirited 18month old Jack
Russell terrier "Kelly", and she is becoming a very accomplished trail dog.
Our miles varied from 8 to 16miles per day, no marathon thruhiker mile days,
and we arrived in camp every day feeling tired, happy, and dusty. Kelly is
my third trail dog, and  appears to become my best yet. I can help others
with trail dog questions off line if needed.  Washington is an incredibly
beautiful place to hike through, and I wonder why I waited so long!. The
current fires only added to the intensity of the sunsets and sunrises in my
photos. I have them all loaded, and sorted, but some labelling and deleting
my still be occurring. If you feel like spending some time watching my
latest adventure,  feel free, and enjoy. Hikon!

A funny afterthought:: I only saw about 30 feet of bear tracks on the
200miles of trail total, in Mount Rainier NP.  Well, I got home late on Sat
nite, and by Sunday morning I had muddy bear paw prints on my pickup truck
that showed a bear trying to figure out how to get to Monte's peaches and
spilled beer in the back of my truck.  Bears are where you find them, and
I've got plenty to share with ya here!

http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/washington_pct

 http://www.pbase.com/losthiker