[pct-l] Trail/Hiker concers answered?

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Sep 14 18:59:20 CDT 2006

I second adding bear boxes to the 60 mile stretch through the Inyo National Forest along the PCT/JMT.

Quite happily, I saw four backcountry rangers and a supervisor on the trail during my JMT hike.  An excellent book on the topic is "The Last Season" by Eric Blehm, which is the non-fiction account of the disappearance of Backcountry Ranger Randy Morgensen.  This excellent book was recently donated to the hiker library by Barbara Chambers (aka Nellie Bly), Scrambler's Mom.  Not only did the places I'd fallen in love with in the high Sierra come alive in the pages of the book, I'd actually met some of the rangers.

L-Rod