[pct-l] alternate route for thru-hikers heading north

Tom Griffin griffin at u.washington.edu
Sun Sep 10 10:56:36 CDT 2006

I just hiked past these trail junctions last week on my section hike.
The junction with Trail 756 to Mabee Pass has a sign. The trail looks
underused and steep--can anyone say "Little Giant"? I couldn't even find
the second junction for trail 755--although a hiking buddy says he saw a
cairn in a meadow that might have marked the junction. Between the two,
my advice would be to take the signed trail to Mabee Pass. Once you
leave the PCT you will be going through some wild country until you
reach Ross Lake. Once on the lakeshore trail, the opposite occurs, as
you will see plenty of boats and horse parties. However, that trail is
in good shape and should be fast for anyone who has already hiked 2,600
miles. There is a road from Hope, B.C. to the end of Ross Lake, where
there is a boat launch and a campground. You should be able to yogi a
ride to Hope, which has lots of facilities for tourists (and right now,
lots of smoke from wildfires). You can take Greyhound from there to
Vancouver and then Amtrak back to Seattle.

Good luck to the Class of 2006 and don't give up at Rainy Pass!

Tom Griffin (Bullfrog)
Seattle
PCT Pages: http://griffinte.home.comcast.net/pct.html