[pct-l] December in Sections A and B

Freiman, Paul pfreiman at ucsd.edu
Sat Oct 28 12:15:09 CDT 2006

December is a wonderful time in the desert.  Water is hard to get, but if the temps are cool you won't need as much of it as during other months.  My dog and I were able to go back and forth across the San Felipe Hills one day (35 miles) carrying all the water we needed because we weern't being baked.  It is a wonderful idea.  It snows only a few days per yer on Laguna, and usually in Jan and Feb, not Dec.  Changes are that you will have good weather.  You might consider starting at the end of B and going SOBO, because the later in the year you get the more chances of snow around San Jancinto.  I can pick you up at the border (If I'm not on-call).

Capt Bivy
In San Diego since 1973 and former desert hike (In fact Dec was my favorite time of year).