[pct-l] snowbridges/trip prep/Sonora Pass

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sun Oct 22 20:26:38 CDT 2006

I concur that you can most likely do the JMT starting July 20 without
snow concerns in most years.  Since it is impossible to equip llamas
with crampons and an ice ax, we generally start our long trips around
July 20, and in heavy snow years we don't start until August 1.  One
year when snow was very light we were able to start in June!   We carry
a shovel to dig out snowy trails but have only used it once (near the
top of Forester).
Llamas' instincts are very intact, so it is just about impossible to
persuade them to step on snow if they can hear water running
underneath.  They won't do a snow bridge!  When we encounter such
conditions they are quite happy to go cross country thru rock fields and
slabs to go around the snow fields.  We have done this on many passes.
We hiked Sonora Pass in August when it had only one snow field, and I
found the loose soil on the trail and the big cliffs very unnerving.  I
slid about 8 times while hiking downhill to the parking lot.  My
trekking poles saved me.  When I got home I threw out my shoes and got
shoes with better tread.
Marion