[pct-l] Skill Sets

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Oct 20 13:01:23 CDT 2006

Finding Muir Hut and the correct pass isn't easy, even with the maps, when there is a lot of snow.  This is mentioned by many of the contributors to Yogi's PCT Handbook.  We had six miles of snow -- three before and three after, in July this year.  The trail was no where to be seen. In the morning as a group of us made our way toward the pass, the footprints from the day before had melted out.  The lakes were largely frozen and snowy, and hard to match and compare to the maps.  There are also other inviting, low saddles that befuddle.  I thought it humorous that the leader of our string of hikers was Hannibal.  Who better to lead you over a snowy pass?

Later in the afternoon, below the pass and approaching Evolution Valley, the snow was rotting out and postholing was a definite danger.  I was lucky to merely scrape the side of my leg when it plunged through in to a pile of rocks; the resulting bruise lasted a good while.  Due to the rapid melting of the snow, the sun cups in the lower, flatter areas were deep, and water was running beneath the snow in many areas.  The snow bridges were quickly becoming more dangerous and they weren't going to last much longer.

How I wish I could be back there instead of sitting at my desk at work.

L-Rod