[pct-l] Skill Sets

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Thu Oct 19 12:52:38 CDT 2006

In a message dated 10/19/2006 1:32:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dsaufley at sprynet.com writes:

Know how  to utilize map & compass, and how to orient yourself with the map
and  landmarks.  Numerous times this season, we followed footsteps across snow
fields only to find that the trail was no where to be seen when the snow
ended.  Relocating the trail required the ability to figure out where the  trail
was using the map, compass, and physical landscape.

I agree, assuming you have maps!  I lost my maps going up  snowbound Muir
Pass and headed in the wrong direction with what I thought were  foot prints.
They quickly petered out and I turned to check out the  horizon when I saw a
bump that was Muir Hut.  Of course, I stayed there  that night until others came
by the next morning to led me out.  I never  saw Evolution Creek and crossed
on a snow bridge.

One easy tip on snowbound passes to check the map and see which side of the
lake below the trail passes and head that way, being mindful of drop offs.
Plunge stepping and glissading on your feet or rear is a skill quickly picked
up.

Sly