[pct-l] RE official

JULIE FLAMING jannaf at teleport.com
Wed Oct 18 19:48:07 CDT 2006

This brings me to what exactly is the basis for my following the rules?  I
think the one thing I'd add to this conversation is to consider the cost of
one's actions to the people around you. My parents work for the Park
Service in Crater Lake and have been involved in the searches this week for
the missing 8-year-old who reportedly wanderd away from a park overlook so
I'm feeling a little over-sensitive about this right now.

I obey the rules less because they're "official" than because of the many
people who will be out there risking their lives to save my wretched ass if
I flout the rules just 'cause theyr'e inconvenient.... and because of the
people who may get "et" by the habituated bear even if I skate by but the
bear steals the cookies I left out and gets a taste for Oreos.

I'm not saying that anyone in this group does this, I'm just bring the
discussion of how many times I've missed holiday meals with the folks (or
missed sleep because I'm worrying about them) because they're called in to
deal with somebody's emergency. They, like all the other emergency services
folks out there,  put themselves out there willingly, but why make them pay
the cost of carelessness or a sense of entitlement?  So, I go out with a
consideration of my impact on the land, on other hikers, and on the
community in general. It keeps me honest and usually well within the limits
of the laws/rules.

Julie
who is neither pro- nor anti- goat

it is technically illegal to copy a CD you own onto your own computer and
play it on your iPod. Unless you're writing the music yourself all music on
iPods is illegal. I think that's dumb and so does everyone else. But that
doesn't mean the law doesn't exist.

> So in answer to your question "What is official on the PCT?" I tell you
"Bear canisters - in certain places". Whether you choose to ignore the rule
or not is not what I am arguing. I am just saying that there are indeed
rules and since I'm not alone in pointing this out I'm pretty sure that I'm
right.