[pct-l] RE Official

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Wed Oct 18 12:30:46 CDT 2006

In the Sierra's, it's official.  When you obtain a wilderness permit, the rules are clearly stated, the ranger at the desk makes sure you understand the rules and carry the permit.  And, in many areas in the Sierra backcountry, the seasonal rangers are out on the trail patrolling.  They can and do ask you questions to ensure that you are following the rules.

Of course, you can choose to violate or ignore the rules.  You then run the risk of being issued a ticket with a fine attached, or have your permit pulled, and/or potentially be asked to leave.  Last year the couple hiking with Sid, their goat, were made to hike 35 miles back out to the point where they started because the goat was not allowed.

The rules are set up to keep standard-issue idiots and morons, who think they can do whatever they want to do out there, from hurting themselves, the wildlife, and the health of the fragile environment.

L-Rod