[pct-l] Online PCT Resources

Monty Tam metam01 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 16 12:22:24 CDT 2006

Hi Adam
This list is not complete but it's a good start.

Warner Springs Monty

Trip Planning Information
Monty Tam  (Warner Springs Monty)  metam01 at earthlink.net

Water Reports   http://4jeffrey.com
     Where to find water from Mexico to the Sierras

Craig’s PCT Planner  http://www.pctplanner.com
“•  Choosing resupply locations
•  Determining how many days of food are needed between resupply points
•  Projecting arrival dates at each resupply location
•  Adjusting your hiking time based on terrain
•  Gathering addresses of each post office that you will be using”

     “This list is for discussion of all things related to the PCT,
planning for thru-hikes or section-hikes, trail-threats, trail maintenance,
horse riding, llama packing, anything having to do with the PCT.”

Kick Off  http://pct77.org/adz/
     An event put on by an organization whose sole purpose is to help
hikers… for free
     End of April on the trail 20 miles north of the border.
     Includes presentations on up to date water reports, trail conditions
and many other topics .
     *It is highly suggested to start your hike before or after the date of
this event so as not to negatively impact the trail, trail towns and trail
angels in Southern California.  (Check the ADZPCTKO (Kick Off) site and the
PCT-List for ways to travel to and from the event from your location on the
trail.)

mailing labels http://www.pcta.org//planning/before_trip/labels.asp

Pacific Crest Trail Association http://www.pcta.org
Tons of info and help including email addresses to nice people with advise.
They can set you up with a mentor.

free detailed maps of Section A and some B http://hikertrash.net/

fire permit http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/documents/campfirepermit.pdf

Thru-hiker hiking permit form
http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/permits/thru_permit_form.html
This permit covers hiking any section of the PCT.  It requires that the
holder be hiking at least 500 miles.
Thru-hiker permit info
http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/permits/general.asp

REI 1.800.426.4840  Order emergency gear from the trail by phone.

BOOKS
Pacific Crest Trail Guide Book    www.amazon.com
(Three books:  Southern California, Northern California, Oregon/Washington)

Pacific Crest Trail Data Book    www.amazon.com

Tom Harrison Map-Pack of the John Muir Trail http://www.rei.com

Yogi’s guide http://www.pcthandbook.com

Pacific Crest Trail Town Book (very outdated but still helpful)
www.amazon.com

Lighten Up   by Don Ladigin www.gossamergear.com

Lightweight gear, gear lists and written articles:
www.gossamergear.com
www.backpackinglight.com

http://www.organicmechanic.org/pacific-crest-trail-guide/pacific-crest-trail
-links/