[pct-l] Death to The Book of Lies!

Schifrin Benjamin benschif at mac.com
Sat Oct 14 16:13:47 CDT 2006

Gang:

While we all seem to be on the subjects of the books we love to hate,
bad grammar, misguided (hah!) authors, character assasination, ad
nauseam, and now that the Class of 2006 is back in the barn, let me
invite you all...

POINT YOUR INVECTIVE AT ME! PLEASE!

I am now working on the next complete revisions of The Book of Lies,
also known as the Oregon-Washington and California PCT Guidebooks.
Wilderness Press plans to have a new version of OR-WA on bookshelves
for the 2008 season, and hopes to have the two CA guides a year later.

So, while my many sins, my gross incompetence, my utter negligence
and dereliction of duty are fresh in your mind, and the brush-torn
scars on your shins from that 15-mile route-finding fiasco are
scabbing over, WRITE ME!

I want to know about every little thing that you don't like about the
guidebooks. I want to know about every little thing that you want to
see added to the guidebooks. You can be constructive; you can flame
me-- I don't care. Don't like the geology? Tell me! Don't like the
text format? Throw a rock at me! I didn't mention your favorite vegan
& venison burrito bar in Etna? Hurt me! Want elevation profiles or
UTM grid ticks or GPS data? Kick me! Harder! Please!

This is your chance to stick pins in the Voodoo doll you've been
steaming about since you got lost in the brush above Cajon Pass!

And, it may not be THAT great of a motivation, but this is your
chance to actually make the guidebooks BETTER.

So, call me! Write me! Email me! Talk dirty to me! I'm lonely, and I
want to talk to YOU, you strong, handsome hiker! I have a 900 number!
Just $5 a minute! I AM THE GUY YOU WANTED TO KILL, AT YOUR LAST WRONG
TURN! Give me your best shot!

As usual, prior to the actual hard-copies of the guides are printed,
I plan to have the usual annual incremental updates for OR-WA out by
Christmas (including a full thorn-and-brush description of the
Glacier Peak Bypass) , and the two halves of CA out in early spring
2007, certainly in time for the Class of 07. (I'm sweating over them
already!

Keep those cards and letters coming!

(I hope you get well soon)

Ben Schifrin